Z2 invariant for 2D material (or a semi-infinite slab)

Dominik Gresch greschd at phys.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 24 10:07:13 CET 2017

Dear Koushik,

Two-dimensional materials are characterized by a single Z2 invariant,
since there is only a single plane in k-space. This is exactly the case
described in the Kane-Mele paper:
https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.95.146802

For Z2Pack, there are examples showing the BHZ model:
https://github.com/Z2PackDev/Z2Pack/blob/dev/current/examples/hm/bhz_model/bhz.py

and a simple 2D tight-binding model:
http://z2pack.ethz.ch/doc/2.1/examples/tb.html

For the cases where your model is actually three-dimensional, you can
just choose a fixed kz because your model should not depend on kz if it
is effectively two-dimensional.

Best regards,

Dominik