about the real-space matrices for C2y in the example of kdotp-symmetry

Heng Gao gaoheng1015 at shu.edu.cn
Thu Oct 19 15:34:04 CEST 2017

Hi Xiangru,

I have asked the same question to Dominik.  Please see the following reply from him. I hope it will be helpful.

1. The symmetry operations are given with respect to the reduced coordinate system, with the basis being the one described in eq. (2). While C2y is obviously [-1 0 0 ; 0 1 0 ; 0 0 -1 ] in cartesian coordinates, this transforms to [ 0  1 0 ; 1 0 0; 0 0 -1]. The matrix T = [[a, -a, -c], [b, b, 0], [0, 0, d]] transforms from reduced to cartesian coordinates. So to get the C2y matrix in reduced coordinates you need to compute the basis transformation

    C_2y_reduced = T^-1 C_2y_cartesian T

The same is also done for the other symmetries, but only mirror and rotation change under the basis transformation.

Best,
Heng

Heng Gao
Ph.D. candidate
Department of Physics, and
International Centre for Quantum and Molecular Structures,
Shanghai University,
99 Shangda Road, Shanghai, 200444 China
E-mail: gaoheng1015 at shu.edu.cn