Talk today: Laura Burri 4pm, Irchel Y36K08, Tensor product factorizations and locality

Lidia del Rio lidia at phys.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 6 07:47:10 CEST 2018

Dear all,

Laura Burri's bachelor thesis presentation will take place today at
4:00pm in the UZH Irchel campus, room Y36K08

. It will be a 25min talk
followed by questions. Title and abstract below.

    Hilbert space factorisation and locality

In quantum mechanics, the tensor product rule allows one to describe
independent systems jointly. However, if one is given a global system,
there is a priori no reason for considering some factorization of the
system’s state space as “the only physical one”. Thus, if multiple
agents observe the same system, their implicit assumptions on how the
state space factors do not necessarily coincide. Is it possible to
derive from the agents’ perspectives how their implicitly assumed
factorizations are related?
The problem of answering this question is what we call The Factorization
Problem as it pays attention to the various possible factorizations of
the same Hilbert space. The aim of solving the factorization problem is
to derive from agents’ abilities how their objects of observation are
related, rather than assume from the outset knowledge about this relation.
In this work I motivate and define the factorization problem.
Furthermore, I introduce a classification of how two agents’ assumptions
about the factorization of some system’s state space can be related. For
some of these classes, conditions have been found which are fundamental
for solving the factorization problem. Yet, no generic solution of the
factorization problem exists.

Best,

Lídia